About The Spark
The Spark Arts for Children exists to enable children to enjoy the opportunities for discovery offered by the arts as audiences, as learners and as creators of their own art.
The charity has four strategic objectives:-
- To commission and produce high quality, diverse and innovative programmes for children in venues (In Your Theatre), schools (At Your School) and community settings (On Your Doorstep) which provide children, their families and their communities with the opportunity to experience the richness of the arts.
- To organise a children's arts festival each year recognised nationally for the quality, diversity and innovation of the programme, and valued locally for its contribution to the quality of life for children through creating experience, enrichment and inspiration.
- To champion cultural education activity locally to ensure that children in Leicester/shire thrive through rich and adventurous experiences, no matter where they start in life, and to advocate for children's rights to enjoy artistic opportunities as audiences, as learners and as creators of their own art.
- To ensure that the organisation is sustainable, well governed by a skilled board and has the hallmarks of an effective charity.
About The Spark Festival
Founded in 2003, The Spark Children's Arts Festival is a two-week summer festival of the performing and visual arts for children in Leicester and Leicestershire. It has grown over the past thirteen years driven by the belief that the arts are crucial to a child's development and well-being.
The festival aims for variety and access - to create as many opportunities as possible for children to engage with a wide range of performances and events in a variety of settings:
- Professional theatres
- 'On Your Doorstep' - community venues, parks, libraries, on occasion a swimming pool!
The Spark works closely with all presenting venues, and with local authorities to programme and present events
The programme aims to present a variety of work, from puppetry to contemporary dance, that is specially created for children by a range of regional, national and international companies. Last year we presented 147 events to over 13,600 people.
- Our current Environment Policy (PDF, 365 Kb)